Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Dictatorial Egypt: 4 Killed, 350 Injured in Crash in Cairo Between Opponents and Supporters of President Morsi

"No to dictatorship," Morsi's opponents chanted, while their rivals chanted: "Defending Morsi is defending Islam."

As if Islam is Egypt.

From Al Jazeera (12/6/2012):

At least four people have been killed in the Egyptian capital, Cairo, as supporters and opponents of President Mohamed Morsi clashed near the presidential palace, the health ministry says.

Fighting continued into the early morning on Thursday with fires burning in the streets where the opposing sides threw stones and petrol bombs at each other.

"No to dictatorship," Morsi's opponents chanted, while their rivals chanted: "Defending Morsi is defending Islam."

Riot police were sent in to break up the violence on Wednesday, in which about 350 people were injured.

The opposition is demanding Morsi rescind a decree giving him nearly unrestricted powers and shelve a disputed draft constitution that the assembly passed hurriedly last week.

Al Jazeera's Sherine Tadros, reporting from Cairo, said hundreds of protesters remained in the streets before dawn on Thursday, but that most of Morsi's opponents had retreated.

A small group of opposition activists had been camped outside the palace since Tuesday night, when tens of thousands rallied against the presidential decree.

Supporters of Morsi marched to the palace on Wednesday and tore down the opposition's tents. Witnesses said they threw stones and used clubs to attack demonstrators.

Thirty-two people were arrested on Wednesday, according to a statement from the interior ministry.

Protests spread to other cities, and offices of Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood in Ismailia and Suez were torched.

Both sides blamed the other for starting the clashes: Opposition leaders said Morsi was responsible for the bloodshed, while senior Brotherhood officials accused the opposition of "inciting violence".

(Full article at the link)


For joyous and victorious Egypt in February 2011, the links seem still valid from my page:


Maju said...

You can read a first-person account at Jaddaliya.

Another alternative source for news in the Arab World (Aljazeera is just too Islamist, being after all the "BBC" of an affluent Emir) is Italy-based Uruknet (but generally more interested in West Asia than North Africa). On Egypt they mention this and this.

Some English-language Egyptian conventional media may also be of some interest. Both my alternative sources cite frequently Egypt Independent, even if it seems a bit bland.

In any case, it seems that three opposition activists, two named men and one unnamed woman were killed by the Islamists at the Presidential Palace. They used birdshot guns and what not.

The fourth deadly victim is allegedly an unnamed Islamist although the circumstances of his dead are unclear.

Anonymous said...

Injured in a crash? what were they doing , driving a huge bus?

Anonymous said...

As far as the Society of the Muslim Brothers is concerned (Morsi is a leading member)Egypt is Islam. About 90% of the population adheres to Islam the other 10% is mostly Christian. The Brotherhood's credo was and is, "Allah is our objective; the Quran is our law, the Prophet is our leader; Jihad is our way; and death for the sake of Allah is the highest of our aspirations." Its most famous slogan, used worldwide, is "Islam is the solution."

When dealing with the Muslim brotherhood the opposition might as well be drawing unflattering cartoons of Mohammad because in the brotherhood's opinion if you are standing against them then you are standing against God so it's OK to kill the opposition.

arevamirpal::laprimavera said...

LOL. Crash and clash, they're the same thing to me. As a Japanese I can't distinguish between "l" and "r" ...

Post a Comment