From EDF's press release (4/23/2012):
EDF Energy to provide low carbon electricity for London 2012
23 April 2012
80% of the low carbon electricity sourced to supply the Games will come from EDF Energy’s existing nuclear fleet
EDF Energy underlined its commitment to a low carbon future when it revealed today (Monday, April 23) that the electricity it will supply for the London 2012 Games will be matched by equivalent amounts of electricity backed by nuclear and renewable sources.
EDF Energy, Britain’s largest producer of low carbon electricity, will guarantee that for each unit of mains electricity used on the Olympic Park it will provide a unit generated from low carbon nuclear and renewable sources to the national grid.
80% of the low carbon electricity sourced to supply the Games will come from EDF Energy’s existing nuclear fleet, with the remaining 20% coming from renewable generation assets. EDF is an official partner of London 2012.
Vincent de Rivaz, chief executive of EDF Energy, said: “I’m very proud that we will be powering London 2012 with a supply package that is backed by nuclear and renewable electricity. We are planning major investments in the UK to develop new nuclear power stations and more renewables which will provide safe low carbon power for decades to come. We want to encourage people to think about where their electricity comes from, and the carbon emissions associated with it. With nearly two-thirds of people now saying that nuclear is needed as an important part of Britain’s energy mix1, it is the right time to highlight the opportunities for customers to choose low carbon energy supplies.”
EDF Energy has just launched a low carbon supply tariff, Blue +Price Promise, which is 100% nuclear backed2 and lets consumers fix their energy prices until September 2013. It comes with the ground-breaking promise to customers that it will let them know if any supplier offers a product which is £1 or more a week cheaper3. Any Blue +Price Promise customers choosing to switch to another electricity supplier will not be charged a termination fee.
The EDF Energy London Eye is already powered by ‘Blue’ and Tower Bridge is also supplied with electricity matched by units of low carbon electricity generated from the company’s existing nuclear fleet.
EDF Energy has partnered in projects to replace the lighting on Tower Bridge, which will lead to a reduction of around 40% in the energy used to illuminate the bridge, and to install 120 electric vehicle charging points which will support the London 2012 vehicle fleet before remaining as a legacy of the Games. In addition, the Pod, EDF Energy’s programme for greener schools and part of ‘Get Set’, the official London 2012 education programme, is estimated to have engaged six million young people in sustainability since it was launched in 2008.
EDF Energy’s safe and secure operation of its eight existing nuclear power stations at sites across the country makes it Britain’s largest generator of low carbon electricity, generating about one-sixth of the Britain’s electricity from low carbon sources. EDF Energy is also leading the UK's nuclear renaissance and has published plans to build four new nuclear plants. These new plants could generate enough clean, secure and affordable electricity for about 40% of Britain’s homes.
In addition, EDF Energy is investing in the development of new renewable generation. Between the time EDF was appointed as an official partner to the Games in 2007 and the time of the Olympics taking place, the company expects to have more than trebled its wind farm generation capacity, with an increase in output from 85 Megawatts to 264 Megawatts. EDF Energy Renewables currently operates wind farms at 20 sites across the UK.
Last year, EDF Energy invested £1bn in its nuclear fleet, gas storage and new generation capacity. In the coming years, the company plans to invest billions of pounds more in low carbon generation and energy efficiency, creating thousands of jobs and providing a major boost to the UK economy and to local communities.
(H/T anon reader)