Wednesday, July 25, 2012

#Radioactive Japan: Kyoto Finally Gives Up on Bringing and Burning Disaster Debris from Miyagi Prefecture

A victory achieved in Kyoto for the opponents of disaster debris incineration in Kyoto, by protesting (including shouting down Minister Goshi Hosono, telling him to go back to where he belongs - that was fun to watch), attending the "town hall meetings" to argue against it, and petitioning.

It's not really that the Kyoto officials finally listened to the opponents (if they did they wouldn't admit), but the opponents, by protracting the process long enough, have made it irrelevant. The amount of disaster debris in Miyagi and Iwate has turned out to be much less, and the prefecture officials (with the exception of the governors who remain eager to distribute the debris) say they are able to process them (not even burning it) within the prefectures.

Kyoto City has formally abandoned the idea of bringing in the disaster debris and incinerating it, and says it will focus on other ways to help the recovery of the disaster-affected areas. As the result, there will be no municipalities in Kyoto Prefecture that will accept and burn the debris with radioactive materials from the Fukushima nuclear accident, asbestos, arsenic, hexavalent chromium (from the tsunami damage).

That leaves Osaka and Kitakyushu City in the western half of Japan that still adamantly insist on burning the debris which even the officials in the disaster-affected Iwate and Miyagi say may not be necessary at all.

From Kyoto Shinbun (7/25/2012):


Kyoto City to shelve the plan to process disaster debris


Kyoto City, which had been planning for disposal of disaster debris from Miyagi, decided to shelve the plan to accept the debris on July 25. The Ministry of the Environment informed the city on July 25 that the ministry would not request the cooperation from the city because Miyagi Prefecture was likely to be able to process the debris within itself. As the result, there are no municipalities in Kyoto Prefecture that will accept the disaster debris.


According to the disaster debris process plan that Miyagi Prefecture announced on July 25, the prefecture would only request the disposal of flammable debris to the municipalities which are currently in the process of accepting or have already been accepting (Aomori, Yamagata, Fukushima, Ibaraki, Tokyo). [Fukushima??]


Kyoto City was planning to test burn the debris at 3 incineration plants in the city. In late May it set up a committee of experts to study the safety of the process.


Mayor Daisaku Kadokawa issued a comment, saying "We believe there is no need to accept the debris any more. We continue to hope for the earliest recovery, and support the disaster-affected areas in a variety of ways."


Within Kyoto Prefecture, Maizuru City and Kyotanba-cho were also preparing for the debris acceptance, but the Ministry of the Environment requested on July 3 that municipalities with the disposal capacity of less than several ten thousand tonnes per year should refrain from accepting the debris.

I have a feeling that these cities, denied of the debris and of the opportunity to enrich the cities (government subsidies, repairing and rebuilding aging incineration plants and final disposal sites at the government expense, jobs for their favorite contractors, etc.), may be rather upset with these residents who have opposed.


Anonymous said...

Good to hear about Kyoto's success. Now stop Ooi!

I hope this will be an inspiration for those fighting debris building in Kita Kyushu and Osaka. It's absolutely criminal that the government officials have insisted on burning this debris when we have been telling them all along that it is unnecessary. It is absolutely criminal that NODA and the DPJ-led government have not prevented the transport of this material outside the hot zone.

Finally, I think this helps show that we have the pro-nukers on the run. This is NOT the time to suspend the Friday evening demonstrations. We need to continue to press the opposition while we have the advantage of momentum!

doitujin said...

i'm so happy for Kyoto!! but still so much to do elsewhere........

Greyhawk said...

I don't care why they gave up. I am just happy they gave up.
It is a start.

sakuramane2004 said...

Don't get too happy it might be a classic bait and switch like they are doing in Yokosuka. The gov decided to not bring garbage to be buried here.Tthe residents were calmed by the politicians pretending to be on our side. Now those same guys are preparing to bring radioactive fishing nets that have been in the ocean off the coast of fuku for the past year. They have to get it out of the ocean I guess because it is in the way of the fisherman and bring it all the way to yokosuka. This might be even worse than bringing the burned trash. See Tokyo shinbum article July 19th.

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know if the Tahara (Lexus) plant in Aichi Prefecture has been chosen to accept debris? I had read that Aichi had selected the site of a former industrial waste treatment site near Nagoya harbor district, but wasn't sure if they are going to push forward in using the Lexus plant for disposal?

Post a Comment