Monday, April 18, 2011

#Fukushima I Nuke Plant: Reactor 2 Bldg Was Too Steamy for iRobot

and the bot couldn't record the radiation level.

Yomiuri Shinbun (in Japanese; 12:37PM JST 4/19/2011) reports:

TEPCO couldn't get enough data on the radiation level in the Reactor 2 building. Two remote-controlled robots went through the door to the Reactor 2 building on April 2. But after measuring 4.1 milli-sievert/hr near the door, the camera lens quickly became foggy due to high humidity (94 to 99%) and couldn't record the radiation level.


But wait... Now if I think about it, even if one bot couldn't take a photograph of the reading by the other bot, the readings were stored in the bot, right?

Is TEPCO hiding the information (again), or is iRobot incapable of storing the readings?


Robbie 001 said...

Well so much for "robots to the rescue" if a little steam can blind them then they aren't going to be much help in #2. The steam may have contaminated the survey meter enough that they discounted the readings but I doubt it. The most likely scenario is the number was too high to fit their predetermined "road-map". I find it hard to believe they don't have a data recording geiger counter I have one and I don't even run an NPP.

arevamirpal::laprimavera said...

@robbie, given what they've done at the plant (my favorite remains bath salt as tracer) they may not have a data recording geiger counter.

Either that, or the radiation was way too high (my guess 400 milli-sievert instead of 4), or they couldn't figure out how to operate the bots. Why TEPCO's employees operating them, instead of iRobot employees? Oh I forgot. The US set the evacuation zone at 80 kilometers radius, so iRobot employees who are in Japan probably can't go anywhere near the plant..

Post a Comment