Saturday, May 21, 2011

How GE's Mark 1 Reactor Caused #Fukushima I Nuke Plant Accident

(UPDATE) The presentation was created by the Union of Concerned Scientists, and was posted later at Fairewinds Associates. (h/t anon reader)

---------------------------------------

I found this presentation at Arnie Gundersen's Fairewinds Associates website. I do not know who created the presentation, as there is no credit on the slides. I'm assuming it was Fairewinds Associates. The presentation was posted on their site on April 25.

It shows GE's now notorious Mark 1 BWR nuclear reactor with actual photos and diagrams of the reactor, and explains how the accident progressed, given such design.

Fukushima-Tragedy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Robbie001 sez:

I like page 28 it gives a good idea of the probable scale of material involved. I'm sure they'll have it all tidied up in a year or less I mean they do have an magical ever changing road map to recovery and all. The Russians had a captive workforce that numbered in the 100's of thousands and they are sill working on their problem 25 years later with no end in sight.


Well at least TEPCO has something to be proud of.

We're #1 !
We're #1!!
We're #1 !!!

Oops said...

I think for those of us that are not technical minded, slide 28 has the most profound effect.

(I see while I was typing this, Robbie001 had the same impression!)

arevamirpal::laprimavera said...

Remember Russia's minister was indignant that Fukushima is Level 7, same as Chernobyl? He was saying nothing could surpass Chernobyl.

Oops said...

I remember him saying that...perhaps a matter of convoluted machismo?

Anonymous said...

When you download the presentation, the filename has "UCS" in it - it's the work not of the excellent Fairewinds, but of the Union of Concerned Scientists:

http://www.ucsusa.org/nuclear_power/nuclear_power_risk/safety/nuclear-crisis-in-japan.html

http://www.ucsusa.org/search/search.jsp?query=anatomy+of+a+tragedy&x=0&y=0

Post a Comment